MISSION Sunny’s Community Garden (SCG) transforms unused urban lots into gathering places for gardeners of all ages to learn about and experience the rewards of growing and sharing healthy food.
VISION Through hands-on growing experiences neighbors celebrate the benefits and joys of a harvest.
- The Gardening Area comprises eight 4’ x 2’ x 8’ raised garden beds
- The Gathering Area holds six teaching/lunch tables and offers activities geared to the cultivating and caring of a garden.
THE BACK STORY
- SCG started with Sandi’s idea of using her many years’ experience as a Master Gardener to transform a vacant piece of land into a safe, accessible garden in the heart of Pittsburgh.
- Thanks to the generosity of the Rev. Glenn G. Grayson, CEO of The Center That CARES, SCG will yield its first crops Fall 2021.
FIRST GARDEN EVENT
Earth Day, Thursday, April 22, 2:00 – 6:00 PM
613 Granville Street Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Parking available directly in front of the garden!
Right now, it’s just an empty lot that we’ve graded and leveled.
On April 22, Earth Day, we’ll:
- assemble and fill raised beds
- put together picnic tables and a storage shed
- spread mulch on the pathways
Then we’ll share a sense of pride in what we’re building, a cold drink and a snack.
Grab a pair of gloves, eat a hearty breakfast and lunch and join us.
Fifteen minutes, an hour, we’ll take what we get!
Sunny’s Community Garden is a program of The Center That CARES.
Sunny’s Community Garden Fund is managed by the Community Foundation for the Alleghenies, a 501c3 nonprofit organization.