Secure, affordable, long-term land access has been consistently identified as a top concern by Pittsburgh growers. Urban farmers and community gardeners need to have long-term land tenure in order to feel confident that the material and emotional investments made in creating a thriving project will last.
Grow Pittsburgh has partnered with Allegheny Land Trust to protect and preserve selected urban agricultural lands in perpetuity. The Three Rivers Agricultural Land Initiative (TRALI) is based on a Community Land Trust model.
Frequently Asked Questions
- A willing, or at least neutral, seller
- Within Allegheny County, or within 2 miles of the county line
- In an urbanized area
- Proven track record of success, a thriving garden project
- Active agricultural use (growing food, plants, animals, etc. and connected to the wider community)
- Under threat of redevelopment or loss
If eligible, the process may take anywhere from 6 months up to 2+ years, based on the landowner, funding and other factors. So get in touch today!