Community Garden Sustainability Fund
Are you a member of a community food garden? Could your garden use some support to become more sustainable?
The CGSF is a project of the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy and Grow Pittsburgh, sponsored in part by Allegheny County Economic Development, that exists to provide material and technical assistance to existing community food gardens in Allegheny County. These include gardens managed by schools, community organizations, shelters, religious institutions and individuals. The Sustainability Fund supports projects that will improve or enhance gardens so that they may have a long-lasting positive impact as part of their communities. The program has been active since 2013, having supported 125+ community gardens with over $175,000 of materials.
Please take time to read the Frequently Asked Questions before applying.
Some examples of garden projects this fund has provided:
- A Group Membership to the Garden Resource Center
- Seedling order from Grow Pittsburgh or your favorite garden center
- A truckload + delivery of compost, mulch, or topsoil
- Materials to repair or extend fencing
- Hand tools and safety equipment
- Season extension materials such as row cover, hoops
Garden groups must submit the following in order to be considered for support:
- Completed online application
- Written permission from landowner allowing gardening on the site
- Updated Listing on Grower’s Map
- Completed Community Garden Sustainability Survey. The Sustainability Survey is an exercise to help you assess your garden’s assets and needs. We look at the survey data to look for broad trends in area gardens. Your overall score will not affect whether or not your Community Garden Sustainability Fund Application is approved.
So, how do I apply?
Round 1 Timeline
Applications open March 1
Applications are due on April 1st
Decision notifications will be sent out by the beginning of May.
We strive to fulfill all approved applications as soon as possible, but aim to complete all Round 1 projects by the end of June.
Round 2 Timeline
Applications open Aug 1
Applications are due on Sept 1st
Decision notifications will be sent out by October 1.
We strive to fulfill all approved applications as soon as possible, but aim to complete Round 2 projects by the end of November.
Have questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-362-4769 x213.
To download a Printable PDF version of the CGSF Application and Sustainability Survey, click here. Completed paper forms can be mailed* to:
Grow Pittsburgh c/o Community Projects
6587 Hamilton Ave. #2W
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
*Paper applications must be received by the application deadline. Please let us know if you plan to submit a paper copy so we can keep an eye out for it.